Monday, April 08, 2013

Was on duty in Bugis last sat and a chinese came in asking about beginner weiqi classes and when he can come down to play with other players. Everytime when I hear this question I find it sad that I have to tell them that is difficult to find players in the club and the best place to play is on the net. I mean we have 2 clubhouses and yet no one is interested to take time to come down lets say once a week to play face to face. Something must be wrong. People may say no time to come down and is more convenient to play on the net but is not true. Look at players in Malaysia, Japan, China, Korea etc.. and the best example of all, Mr Poh and his best buddy Mr Lee. I think we have unknowingly created a culture that cuts away the bonding between players and the association.

There are still many problems and we might need to go so deep that we start questioning ourselves "what is the objective of our association"

Anyway I asked the chinese why he wanted to learn GO and he said that he is a Chinese so he should learn how to play this game. I would be lying if I am not surprised by his answer. Seeing that he came all the way here, I offer to play with him (he already know the basic rules). Is easy to tell if one is really interested when reviewing their game, he asked a lot of questions during the review like is it good to play here, where is his mistake etc and was so enthu to play the next game. By the 3rd game, he started applying things I taught before in the past reviews. I was really happy to see him improve and it was at that moment which makes me realize this is the right job for me.

3 comments:

  1. I think in Japan, China and Korea also it's mainly the old people going to the clubs to the play? You seldom see young people going there anymore. Malaysia maybe yeah cos the main baduk playing population is young. As for Singapore... I also can't say what the problem is. Maybe people just don't see the point of going to the association to play because they can play on the net and also in their school clubhouses etc. Whereas the slightly older generation are busy with their own stuffs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, seldom see young people cause they are not the target audience in those country.

    Yes, there is no point going to association now.

    So why is it that 5, 6 years ago there were regular meetups to play in swa when there were school clubhouse at that time too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until the day you come out with something to give them that on-line does not give. Example regular tournament and annual cup etc. Have a Name of Honour for winners as a recognition. Seriously on-line games always lack the feel that you can only get in real life.

    ReplyDelete