Wednesday, August 01, 2012

When I saw sis's blog entry today, it reminds me of the story on how I got my chinese name. Have you ever wonder why did your parents choose this particular name for you, what is the meaning behind it?

So as a very curious boy, I asked my mum this question few years back- why did you choose 陈汉松 as my chinese name. As I waited excitingly for some cool or romantic reason,

she replied "oh, we saw this old man in the hospital and we ask him"
me: "ok..... so who is this old man?
mum:"ahh, dunno and we couldnt find him after that"

I was like . . . I thought I asked about the reason behind my name, why on earth is my mum telling me a ghost story...

Never mind. So on a random day I suddenly asked my mum why I wasnt given an english name (daniel is not  my registered name) and just when I was expecting her to say "my english not good lah" or "i am not christian lah"

she replied "ahh, actually I wanted to give you an english name but your aunts said no"
me: "wah! which is???"
mum: abalone
me: WHAT??? WHY???
mum: because it sounds so nice

Indeed, her english is not good... And I feel really grateful for my aunts for stopping my "crazy" mother.

So in sis blog entry, she was supposed to interview Elvin Ng and I think before the interview starts he asked sis 1 question she hated most " are you from china?" hahahaha. Not that she she hates china but just because her name has 2 characters (陈宁)almost everyone thinks that she is from China.

My mum's wonderful reason for sis 2 character name is that she was afraid sis would be lazy in future. I seriously have no idea how on earth she got this thought.

And my mum told me that she should have name me as "陈宇" because it looks cool for siblings to have name with just 1 stroke difference  陈宇, 陈宁. Thank you my creative mum.

3 comments:

  1. Your mum rocks! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Xing Wei7:22 PM

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Epic lah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:34 AM

    You really have no idea why she would assume that I will be lazy??

    ReplyDelete